Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Where I'm from


I am from saddles,

 

from Michael kors and soccer cleats.

 

I am from the shade of our back porch…cool, dark it smells of barbeque.

 

I am from the sunflower, the pasture grass

 

I am from carb-enriched dinners and humor-filled holidays,

 

from Kelley and Frank and McKnight.

 

I am from the jokers and up-tights.

 

From never giving up and knowing life is a journey.

 

I am from the nails hammered on the cross.

 

I'm from Friendswood and Italy, pasta and pizza.

 

From the time Leah sped down our street

 

and ran into our mailbox on my longboard,

 

the way my brothers would stay up all night

 

talking to me about high school, and the time

 

my mom caught her first red fish, screaming, jumping, smiling,

 

as we weighed the 8 pound fish.

 

I am from the walls of my house,

 

the boxes of undeveloped films,

 

and the priceless memories that they captured.

No comments:

Post a Comment